Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Pentecost 11c - Hebrews 11:1-16

The trust in me theme of Pentecost 11c continues with what must be acknowledged as the trust poof text. :) Faith “the assurance of things hoped for and the confidence in things not seen” is the version I memorized and the meaning, no matter how it is translated, has served me well. That being said I must confess that I am not a confident Christian, but I do have confidence in Christ. By that I mean I have all kinds of doubts about myself and my life of faith but no doubts about the one in whom I trust. But that shouldn’t surprise you or me, nor should we lament the truth about ourselves. I believe confident Christians are not all they are cracked up to be and a healthy dose of doubt means the life of faith is no walk in the park, which may be what the life of faith is all about. I hope in things that have been promised but not delivered. I have confidence in what I cannot see, the better country for which I long, and believe it is more real than the one in which I presently live. The Hebrews 11 list of those who lived by faith is not a list of faith super stars, but those who hoping against hope lived as if the promise not realized had already been delivered and the things not seen were fully visible. Put your name in the Hebrews 11 list, you less than confident Christian, for the word to them is the word to us. Believe in what you cannot see. Trust me.

1 comment:

  1. Phil, Thanks. This really hit the spot for me today. Although I have confidence in many things, I have certainty in Christ. Living life is very much filled with uncertainty and doubts, and no matter how much I fail some things, I am certain that Christ is there for me. Again, thank you, and all my best to all of yours.

    ReplyDelete