Monday, January 23, 2012

Epiphany 4b - Deuteronomy 18:15-20

Deuteronomy 18:15-20
I speak “a word” about God everyday without worrying about the Deuteronomy consequences. But maybe in light of the warning (and even within the relative safety of the scriptures as the sole rule and authority and the constraint of the creeds) I should pause before speaking any more “words” about God as Gospel truth. After all God is beyond knowing and anything I might say about God is from my limited knowledge – we know in part and prophesy in part. (1 Corinthians 13:9) But then how can God be known unless we speak (Romans 10:14) So if I have misrepresented God in my preaching and teaching I hope I erred on the side of mercy and not judgment and I am betting my life that the cross will cover a multitude of misspeaks, though I have no doubt this prophet will one day die – though pray God not any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment