Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Lectionary 18 Year B - Psalm 78:23-29

Psalm 78:23-29

We get the good verses of Psalm 78 which recounts God's response to God's people's complaints in the wilderness. The complaining was from folks who were not satisfied with water from the rock and who wondered aloud about the ability of God to provide meat and make bread. (78:20) God was furious (78:21) and yet responded to the people’s complaint with manna (what is it?) and quail. They ate and were well fed for God gave them what they craved. Of course at the time they craved whatever would satisfy their hunger and it would not be long before they tired of quail and complained about the detestable manna. The point of these passages - the good ones - is to remind the people of God - which includes us - not to fret when in our wilderness wanderings we are tempted to complain and doing so doubt God's goodness. I happen to be flying over the Idaho wilderness at 35,000 feet. I suppose I could complain because my flight was delayed for over three hours. But that's hard to do when you are listening to Willie Nelson on Bose NC 700 headphones and sitting in seat 1 A on an Airbus 321a. So I won't complain about a late start even if it will cut short the time I have with family in Seattle. But, God help me, I will complain about the recent heat bloom in Seattle. Not because I mind hot weather. I'm a Texan. But the rise in the sea water temps mean I will not be enjoying Pacific oysters due to the real possibility of contracting Vibrio parahaemolyticus. (Look it up) To which the Almighty says, "You know they're not kosher? And I made them really gross looking so that no one would think of eating one.

No comments:

Post a Comment