Friday, January 14, 2011

Epiphany 2a - conclusion

Isaiah 49:1-7; Psalm 40:1-11; 1 Corinthians 1:1-9; John 1:29-42

I'm hoping the stainless steel Nerf® step bars I ordered from www.runningboardworld.com come in sometime soon. It’s not that I can’t handle the additional inches the heavy duty tow package and 20 inch rims add to our new Texas edition truck, after all real men shouldn’t need step ups for anything smaller than a car crushing monster truck. But that was before all the “step ups” and “squat downs” Aubree had us do at boot camp yesterday. Today I’m finding it difficult to stand up once I sit down, let alone high o’ silver away up into my Chevy Silverado. The texts for Epiphany 2a are all about assistance, a step up, if you will. It is not too light a thing for the servant helped by the Lord to in turn be a light to the nations. The patiently waiting psalmist is given a step up by the Lord who heard his persistent cry and pulled him out the mud and mire to stand in a secure place. Paul, perhaps anticipating the difficult things he will say to the Corinthians, begins his letter by reminding them the Lord has helped them with speech and knowledge and spiritual gifts galore. And finally Andrew is a step up for his brother Peter inviting him to come and see the One who invites them both to “follow me.” And now thanks to “boot camp” Aubree I’ll need some assistance to get off the couch.



No comments:

Post a Comment