Friday, January 21, 2011

Epiphany 3a - conclusion

Isaiah 9:1-4; Psalm 27:1, 4-9; 1 Corinthians 1:10-18; Matthew 4:12-23

I’m going to make this short today as I’m under doctor’s orders to take it easy, by which Dr. Bob means do nothing but rest and I take to mean do everything I always do, only more slowly. Long story short son Josh and I installed stainless steel Nerf® step ups on our Texas Edition Silverado and the undercarriage bit me right on the hand. It was a pretty deep wound so naturally I went to my wife Lisa at the vet’s office and she used surgical glue to put my knuckle back where it belongs. Now four days later my hand looks like a lyric from Pink Floyd’s Comfortably Numb “My hands felt just like two balloons.” Dr. Bob’s threatened me with hospital incarceration come Monday if it’s not 50% better. So prayers are appreciated as are heavy duty antibiotics and antiseptic topical cream three times a day. The prescription for what ails Israel is a great light shinning into the darkness of their captivity lifting the yoke of burden and breaking the rod of oppression. The psalmist is made well despite being surrounded by enemies in the day of trouble because the Lord is his light and salvation prompting the defiant song of faith. Nothing can trouble. Nothing can frighten. The Corinthians infected by divisions can only be made whole if their pride is put aside and they embrace again the foolish message of the cross. And the disciples leave everything to follow Jesus whose mission and message “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near” will heal the world of sin and death.

No comments:

Post a Comment