Friday, March 20, 2015

Lent 5 B - John 20:20-36

John 12:20-36
I’m not sure why but “We wish to see Jesus” has always reminded me of Dorothy asking to see the wizard in The Wizard of Oz. Truth to be told the Wizard of Oz was a very scary movie my family watched every year. Some of my very first memories are hiding my face in a pillow whenever the Wicked Witch of the West appeared on our black and white Admiral TV. The Jesus the Greeks wished to see was not nearly as scary as the wicked witch but that is not to say his way of being wasn't troubling. Hating one’s life in this world has led to all sorts of scary scenarios that have had little to do with what Jesus was about. But if we cling to the notion that God’s way of being is not like a charlatan behind the curtain but rather a way home that has heart and brain and courage then all the good things of faith follow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment