Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Pentecost 2b - 2 Corinthians 4:13-5:1

2 Corinthians 4 13 – 5:1
2 Corinthians 4:16-18 is found in the occasional services book and suggested for use in times of illness or when one is near death. I tried to read these words to a friend and colleague at Harris Hospital, Fort Worth in July of 2007 a few days before he died and could not manage the words through the tears. Pastor Tom Allan stopped me with a hand on my shoulder and said, “It’s alright Phil. The gospel I preached my whole career was good enough for me then and it’s good enough for me now. I’m not afraid. And when I get to heaven I’ll mention your name.” I can never read these verses without thinking of that day and being eternally grateful for the grace extended to me by one who was infinitely more courageous and faithful than I am, which is why I’m glad Saint Tom intercedes for me even now, though he might need to do more than just mention my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment