Friday, February 19, 2010

Lent 1 c - Conclusion

Deuteronomy 26:1-11; Psalm 91; Romans 10:5-15; Luke 4:1-13


The lessons for Lent 1C do not seem to have a central theme, or at least at first glance. The Old Testament gives instructions for the ritual of bringing first fruits. The Psalm is a promise of providence despite the terror of the night and dangers of the day. The epistle is an assurance that the name of Jesus is more than able to save. And the Gospel recounts Jesus overcoming temptation in the wilderness. It’s as if the lectionary people, whoever they are, just opened the Bible at random and picked whatever popped up. But at second glance the epistle speaks of the word of God that is always near to you for one does not live by bread alone. The first fruits ritual recognizes that God is the one who gave you the land flowing with milk and honey, therefore worship the Lord your God and serve only him. And while the devil uses the words of the psalm to tempt Jesus, Jesus is the one who believes the promise of providence without needing proof. So when in doubt remember the answer is always Jesus who in this case ties everything together quite nicely on Lent 1C.

1 comment:

  1. Your comments brought to mind a song, now quite old, that Amy Grant recorded:
    "I've got my hope set high
    And like a star at night
    Out of the deepest dark
    It shines the purest light.
    I've got my hope set high
    Beyond the wrong and right
    I need to see the truth
    I need to see the light.
    Cause I can do my best
    And pray to the Father
    But the one thing I ought to know by now
    When it all comes down
    When it all comes down
    If there's anything good that happens in life
    It's from Jesus."

    ReplyDelete