Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Lent 1c - Psalm 91

Psalm 91
I can’t read Psalm 91 without humming “On Eagles Wings” and rightly so. This is a psalm that has to be sung in the same way as a child I sang “I am trusting thee, Lord Jesus” walking down our basement stairs in the dark. The snare of the fowler, deadly pestilence, terrors at night, arrows by day and the charge of the light brigade can only be faced by a chorus like, “And I will raise you up on eagle’s wings.” And while it is true that the way out is up, it takes some going through before the Lord can be the wind beneath your wings. That is what songs and pslams like this are for, the going through times. Such songs and psalms encourage the heart in the dark and difficult, strengthen the spirit in the unpredictable and unnerving, restore hope in the face of despair, faith in times of doubt. The only thing better than a song sung in such times is a song sung together. One day when raised on eagle’s wings, borne on the breath of dawn, shining like the sun we find ourselves held in the palm of God’s hand we’ll sing a new song with a chorus that never ends. In the meantime this one will see us through.

2 comments:

  1. Very good Phil! The last three verses seem to me to moderate the rest. Of course we do fear the terror of the night, and arrows and pestilence and destruction. Evil does befall us and scourges do come near our tents. The hope is in 14-16, especially 15, "When they call to me I will answer them; I will be with them in trouble..." It may be less a guarantee of earthly bliss than it is an assurance that we don't have to face our trials alone. Plus, as you said, a foretelling; eternal life isn't just a future event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Yes. I thought about Jesus' word to his disciples. "In this world you will have trouble but take heart I have overcome the world."

    ReplyDelete